Monday, May 7, 2012

Innocence Lost

On April 30 I predicted in my weekly Patch article that something amazing would happen. 

I predicted that some teen would leave my upcoming yard sale sporting a sequined disco pimp hat that I purchased in 1975. My mind pictured a happy high schooler, delighted with a yard sale treasure, his or her future bright and full of joy.

Little did I know how wrong I would be. 

On May 1, my 16-year old subdivision neighbor Andrew Messina was shot and killed in the doorway of his home by a SWAT sniper. He died following a single bullet to the torso, after a series of events that are still being sorted out. Andy's funeral took place this afternoon, just around the corner at the church where I worship.

I did not know Andy or his parents. I do not know all the details of what happened on May 1, though I have read volumes of public conjecture and less than articulate rants on Facebook and local news websites. The controversy is high, to say the least. Click here for a sample of the emotionally-laden dialogue in our community following the death of the teen. 

First characterized as a hostage situation, that no longer appears to be the case based on a listen to the 911 tape. It is also unclear whether the teen was threatening to harm others, kill himself, or both. Most disturbing, it is unclear whether Andy pointed a gun at SWAT negotiators or not. But the police stand firm in their position that standard procedures were followed and that public safety was at risk.

I refuse to conjecture. I wasn't there. But my alarm bells sounded loudly when I learned that Andy used Zoloft. 

The link between Zoloft and teen suicide has been debated for years, with strong arguments on both side of the fence. Yes, depressed teens are already at a higher risk of suicide, so the fact that some teens on Zoloft commit suicide seems logical. But the unique patterns surrounding teen suicidal behavior and Zoloft seem too prevalent to ignore. 

Yes, the FDA has issued a special warning about Zoloft use by children and teens. Prescriptions come with warning information and physicians routinely advise parents regarding risks. But teens on Zoloft are still dying. Andy is the second in my community of whom I am aware. 

Readers can find a range of information about the Zoloft controversy online. Here is a sample, though I am in no way endorsing the sponsors or vouching for the credibility of any of the sites. 




By the way, I have only mentioned Zoloft in this blog post, but I understand the controversy extends to other SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) drugs prescribed for depression. 

I'm in no position to judge the police and their handling of the incident. And all 
the perfect parenting in the world cannot fully control the teen with depression or behavioral issues. Frankly, parents of these teens don't have many places to which to turn for help. Our families feel forced to hide the issues (listen to Andrew's mother on the 911 tape pleading for silent police support in order to avoid embarrassment). Our communities shun behavioral and emotional matters. They are simply not socially acceptable. And, given events in Woodstock, GA on May 1, our police's standard procedures may lack contingencies for teens experiencing an episode of severe emotional distress. I'm no law enforcement expert, but the use of rubber bullets to end a standoff is not unheard of. 



Dear reader, I confess that I'm not sure what compelled me to write this post. 


I do know Andy Messina's parents must be experiencing an unbearable level of pain. And a 16-year old no longer faces the possibility of a future in this world that is bright and full of joy. Thus, I suppose I write to express condolences to the Messina family. I write with sadness in my heart knowing a mom and dad sit nearby, mourning the loss of their son and wondering w
hat else they could have done to save him.


No comments:

Post a Comment