Monday, November 19, 2012

Still Alive, Certainly Dumbfounded

I've been incommunicado for quite awhile, but the website hits continue. And for that I am thankful. My Russian pals continue to check in from time to time, but I must report that last month they were surpassed by readers from Bahrain. This blog may not be much, but at least it helps me learn geography.  

The past couple of months have not been a good time for this gal. Oh no, not at all. 

Don't get me wrong: I'm fortunate that I still have a roof over my head and toilet paper and such. Do you know that 2.5 billion earth inhabitants don't have access to toilets? This was the most interesting fact posted on Facebook today. 

I once went camping and held my business for three days, finally driving myself back to the nearest town to find a porcelain throne. My previous lives probably did not include pioneering.

I just learned that my Facebook friend, Bekah, is losing her battle with ovarian cancer. This was the hardest-to-hear fact posted on Facebook today. Bekah was diagnosed at Stage IV in September and her decline has been quite rapid., despite a valiant fight. All indications are that she is down to her final days. She is 14 years old. 

 At 14, I was drowning in the despair of unrequited love. The drama consumed me. I had never met or heard of anyone with cancer. 

At 14, my son had already lost two schoolmates to cancer. He is now almost 20 and more of his friends have fallen to the monster. Indeed, my own husband, my only son's father, battles Stage IV colon cancer each day. 
Lewis and I adopted a rescue dog last month - a white Spitz we named Lea. She brings joy to our empty nest and fills needs I was unaware existed. We dote on her as though she were a prodigal child. 

And each day I receive Facebook notices of multiple dogs that are slated to die in Atlanta's kill shelters. Dogs brought in by their owners after ten or so years of devotion, just because they are no longer convenient or easy to care for. I want to adopt them all, but keeping a roof over my head is difficult enough these days.

Life is more precious than we will ever understand. Bekah's life. The little beagle who will feel the pain of a heartstick in the morning. Toddlers in the Middle East. 

Dear readers, I am still alive despite my writing absence. But I'm certainly dumbfounded by life and the precariousness of who gets to live and who gets to die and who enjoys the luxury of toilet paper in the interim. 

I'll return soon, hopefully with a lighter heart. Life goes on and we all take care of our business the best we can. 

3 comments:

  1. God gives us all challenges. We have no choice but to try to accept them with grace and live life the way HE would want us to. Life often seems unfair but HE has a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, Marguerite. We have certainly felt God's presence and support throughout our cancer journey. We have also felt the love of and drawn much strength from friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete